Saturday, April 13, 2019

The Eye of the Needle

My least favorite task in this beautiful and mostly-relaxing project is threading the needle. I have an embroidery needle that has a blunt pointy-end and a longer eye, so it's not as tricky as a typical sewing needle. But I find it hard, mostly because I have a tremor in my hands. It isn't extreme, so I don't really notice it until I'm trying to do small, focused fine-motor-skill-ish things, like threading a limp string through a tiny hole.

Image result for threading a needle embroidery

Contrary to what this rather cool-looking image says, I am not going to tell you the secret of how to thread a needle. This is partially because I think you deserve the right to learn it on your own, partially because I don't think I actually know the secret myself, and partially because I don't think there is truly a secret at all.

I'm writing about this because today I didn't make any progress in my stitching. I could not get my needle threaded. I must have worked at it for a good ten minutes with no success. So I finally put the thread and the needle down inside the frame, took my hands off, and prayed. Because it's not just about this cross-stitch project... There are just days when I feel like I'm trying so hard to accomplish something of worth, and just wearing myself out in the process, not getting anywhere. There are just days when I feel faint in my body and spirit, and I need to take a break and refocus on the Source of my strength and hope. 

"Lord, you know the effort that I put in today. And even though I feel like I have nothing to show for it, I believe that nothing is wasted when it's given to You. So I place my life in Your hands, knowing that when I just can't do it anymore, you can." 

Listening to: "For the Moments I Feel Faint," by Relient K 

1 comment: